Pages

Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Work... Exercise and Cystic Fibrosis

One of the neat things about my work is the opportunity to present on physical activity topics at conferences across the country.  Being an introvert and perfectionist, I will admit that I get a bit nervous speaking in front of professional audiences, but it truly is a blessing to be invited.  Most recently, I presented at the North American Cystic Fibrosis Conference in Anaheim, California.  While I don't have specific CF expertise, I enjoy learning about other areas of medicine and health and I truly believe that Exercise Is Medicine.  I also have relatives with CF, an inherited lung disease which affects 70,000 people worldwide. During a session on The Incorporation of Physical Activity into Clinical Practice: Why & How, I was able to share motivational tips and behavioral skills to help clinicians and patients incorporate exercise into treatment plans.  What most impressed me from the conference was learning about the amazing leaps made in CF research and treatment over the last few decades. 

 A few milestones according to the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation (CFF)...  
  • 1962 The predicted median age of survival for those with CF is 10 years of age. 
  • 1989 A team of Foundation-supported scientists discovers the defective CF gene and its protein product (CFTR), opening the door to understanding the disease at its most basic level. 
  • 1994 The Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approves Pulmozyme®, which is proven to thin the tenacious, sticky mucus in the lungs and is the first drug developed specifically for CF. The time taken to develop Pulmozyme is less than half of the industry average. 
  • 2006 The predicted median age of survival for those with CF increases to 37 years of age.
I don't think I have ever been around a group of more dedicated and passionate scientists and practitioners. Thanks to the researchers, medical professionals, patients and families who are "Adding tomorrows every day."  Learn more about Cystic Fibrosis at www.cff.org.

No comments:

Post a Comment